
I think that when you start a blog, especially one that deals with children, you want to keep it happy. You know, funny stories, lots of laughs but of course, that's not real life, is it? In those moments of happy, there are not-so happy times....
My grandmother in Spain passed away very early yesterday morning. At the age of 95, she's had a healthy, happy long life filled with grandchildren that she has been able to spend time with regularly. She's outlived 3 of her children: my mother, my uncle and an aunt. Only one of her children remains; my Aunt Miguela. I can't imagine how my aunt's heart hurts right now as in the past year and a half, she's lost my mother and my uncle (both to cancer) and now her mother. There is still lots of family left as my cousins have children, but i know how sad that she must be.
I have lots of memories of my grandmother. My mother and i lived with her and my grandfather in Zaragoza for almost 5 years while my dad was stationed in Iceland and other posts that family wasn't allowed to go. There were the animals that she brought home to me...little yellow chicks and a much loved dog name Toby. And there were the treats that she smuggled to me when my mother wasn't looking, too. She always ate vegetables, very little (if any) meat and always drank water and went on long walks that i would often tag along for. I suppose that's one of the reasons that she lived so long-she truly took care of herself. But then, my Mom did, too...
and still died at 59 of cancer. I guess that's life and as my Mom would tell me "you have to do all you can do"...
I'm sad that Emma will never get to meet my grandmother. We are planning a trip to Spain when Emma is a little older--travel isn't much fun on a plane 12 hours with a little child, i'm sure. But i would love her to meet my cousins and see Spain and a little of where i grew up. Maybe one day soon...
Little known Isabel fact: i didn't speak English till i was in the first grade. Of course, not speaking Spanish will quickly put one at a disadvantage to not speaking it at all but i'm slowly gaining a lot of it back from speaking to Emma. Rest assured, though, if you need to find a bathroom or order a beer, then i am your to-go-girl.
I'll miss you, abuelita. But i take great comfort in the fact that Grandpa, my Mom and my uncle where there in heaven, waiting on you to show you what a wonderful place it is. My Mother, i know was thrilled to see you as she loved you so very much. So while i'm sad....i am also happy that you all are together again.
Friday, September 19, 2008
Sad news
♡ Scribbled by ~Isabel at 2:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














3 thoughtful comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about the death of your grandmother! I'm sure it's harder since you're so far away and most likely won't be at the funeral. How often did you see her I wonder. My grandma lives in northern Ohio and I don't see her more than once a year. Distance is hard!
But I really enjoyed reading this blog and getting a glimpse into your earlier life. Now this may be a dumb question, but if you grew up in Spain and your family is from there, were you an American citizen (was your dad an American) or did you have to become one when you moved here? And what made you move here rather than stay in Spain? I've never been to Spain, although I've visited Europe and it is so beautiful that I can't imagine leaving there for the midwestern U.S.
Forgive the huge long comment! Perhaps this should have been an email instead. Oops!
See you in less than 2 weeks :-)
I am Sorry to hear about your Grandmother. :( HUGS to you.
My Grandmother is turning 99 in December and has dementia for a good 2 years and really does not even remember me.. She has been in hospice for 6 months.
Will be thinking of you my blog friend...
Post a Comment