Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Today, you ate dirt....

 


Dearest Emma,

Today you ate dirt. I know, i know, how in the world did i let that happen?!?! I try to always to be there to watch, to make sure no danger is in your path but today, well, the door bell rang and it was the FedEx guy and i was only going to be gone for just a second....and it seems that was all it took for you to get into my Ficus tree (it's a really big tree that you so love to sit under and look up at) and remove the rocks and have a taste of dirt. Had i not been so horrified at the fact that my cute, little daughter ate dirt, i would have snapped a photo; you know, to have so i can embarrass you when you get older. I immediately had to scoop you up, carry to you the sink and get all of the dirt off your face, hands, shirt, shorts, hair. You know, because it's dirt. You were not happy....and then it hit me: it's just dirt. And you wanted to touch it, feel it, and okay, taste it. And this is what toddlers do...and you are a toddler.

So, i grabbed my running shoes, you and your stroller and we went to the park. I wanted you to truly play in the dirt.

There will be so many things that i can't protect you from as you grow up. Friends who may look like friends but aren't, people who say mean things without reason, boy friends and girl friends who won't call when you think that they will, and the breakup of a first cherished boyfriend. I guess a part of growing up is experiencing these things; it's how you learn to grow up into the woman that you'll become. Dirt, is a part of life. It's my job to give you the tools to pick yourself up, brush off the dirt, and deal with whatever may come at you. It's my job to love you, cuddle you, sing to you and help you become the young woman that you will become. I hope that i can instill self confidence so you can get back up, wipe the dirt off...and go forward to your next big adventure.

I love you so very much....

Mommy (who sat with you in the dirt and mulch today at the park and played....)
Posted by Picasa

0 thoughtful comments: