Friday, October 15, 2010

Oh yes, one of 'those days'...



It's not been a good day.

In fact, it truly sucked eggs big time was one of my yuckiest.

I had a good day until i skipped in to pick up my darling tot from school. I love the little school she goes to. I love the director, Mrs. Cheryl. She has a heart for where she is at and what she is doing for her teachers and little students. I love her teacher, Mrs. Sarah. She's the kind of teacher you'd want your child to have: fun, involved and i can see that she truly loves children. Which must be hard to do some days when you teach a class of 3 year olds, btw....

When i went to pick up Emma yesterday from school, her teacher asked me what we did for discipline. I do the time out thing, in a corner, i told her. No chair, no sending her to her room, in the corner. I didn't want to ask the next question, but i then asked her why, and she said that today, Emma slapped/hit another TEACHER in the face. Ms. Sarah said that she didn't think it was to be mean, but i'm willing to bet that Emma wanted to just get the other teacher to leave her alone so she could continue to do whatever it was she wanted to do. And then, she tells me that Emma will ignore her (Ms. Sarah) at times when she asks her to do something. I asked her what she did when that happened, and she said that she would just point her in the direction that she needed Emma to go in and Emma would go.

Yes.

I did.

I cried the entire way home. And it's a long drive.

Why? Because i felt like a complete and utter failure as a Mom.

I don't want Emma to be "that" child. You know, the one who the teacher's have to wear protective gear around?

Emma was quiet as a church mouse in the car. As i put her in her car seat, i asked her what happened at school. She tells me about playing with another child. I asked her about hitting the other teacher. She then looks like a deer caught in the headlights and responds:

"We don't hit!"

Smart answer, but no treat earned.

I go on to explain that i am disappointed. That we NEVER HIT ANYONE, much less an adult. That hands are for gentle things, not hitting. That she is to listen to Mrs. Sarah with both of her ears and do exactly what Mrs. Sarah asks her to do.

Yep. I explained all of this at least 6 times to Emma.

I know that Emma still doesn't feel well and we've had stuff to do every single day this week. MOPS on Monday, followed by the grocery store. School on Tuesday, followed by errands. Mom's Together on Wednesday, followed by a visit to Robert's work. School on Thursday and then on Friday, i had plans for a play date with a friend of mine who has a daughter close to Emma's age. I'm not sure that my friend would want us around, for heaven's sake...

Yes.

I did.

I cried the entire way home. And it's a long drive.

Why? Because i felt like a complete and utter failure as a Mom.

I don't want Emma to be "that" child. You know, the one who the teacher's have to wear protective gear around?

And if i'm really honest, i want to be thought of as a good Mom. Which, apparently for me, means not having a child who hits teachers and ignores teachers. Because how could i be doing my job if she does those things?

My dear friend, Melissa, giggled at me and said, "Issy, Emma is three! She's three. She was having a bad day, too. Just wait till she's older...."

Melissa has three children so i know she's right and knows what she's talking about.

But still...

I want to call my Mom and ask her what she would have done to me if i had done what Emma had done. But...i can't do that. I have a feeling that she would have done something more than cry all the way home like i did and make Emma ride home in silence and then clean her room and help me clean the den when we did get home.

To top off my day, there was no emergency chocolate in my home. You know, the chocolate that you stash for days like this? Apparently i had forgotten to replish my stash.

Today will be spent at home. No running around. Maybe some time in the yard or maybe taking a walk around our neighborhood. No time spent in the car. No running around. Just a quiet day.

Because i need it.

~Isabel---->who failed at potty training and now has a child who belts teachers.

1 thoughtful comments:

Kelly said...

don't be too hard on yourself...it is what it is for that day. sorry about not having the "good chocolate" when needed. i have that great need every now and then too (quite regularly).