Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dear Emma....

 

Dear Emma,

Today was a big day for you. Okay, maybe i'm exaggerating and it was a bigger day for me than you, but, boy, was it exciting day to see. You are growing up right before my eyes, Emma, and no matter how much i try to slow down that process, well, there isn't any slowing it down. It's amazing to watch you grow and learn new things~i sometimes can see your mind connecting things together as you learn. I love how you'll turn around to me as if to say "See!! I CAN do this and i can do this ALL BY MYSELF!" as i try to cling to you to slow you down. No matter how hard i try to hold on to you, you are growing into your self by learning things and developing a personality all of your own.

You are a daredevil. I sometimes shut my eyes as you bounce on the couch with your legs in the air, arms lifted up and giggling as you bounce. I sometimes shut my eyes as you run away from me in our backyard as you laugh, trying to imprint the sound of your laughter in my heart so i won't ever forget these moments of you growing up. And i also shut my eyes when you leap up and down in your crib, treating it like a trampoline....knowing that one day, that crib isn't going to be able to hold you any longer.

Today we had a few 'firsts'....

~You walked up all of the stairs at school, holding my hand, counting the steps as you went. No more crawling up the stairs for you anymore, it seems; and you counted perfectly.

~You are (slowly, VERY slowly!) learning how to comfort and share with others. I watched you through the glass door today as i dropped you off and noticed that you went over to Isabella, who was crying and handed her your bagel and sippy cup. She stopped crying, took a bite of your bagel, drank out of your sippy cup and handed them both back to you with a smile. My heart, of course, melted at this tenderness from you to Isabella.

~You also walked up all of the stairs at your Dad's work all by yourself as we visited Ms. Kitty (your self-proclaimed aunt!) and her staff. You went office to office saying "HI!" and "I'm gonna get youuu" and laughed with delight as three grown women chased you down the hall in their heels. You also played with Joe in his office...i think that you have a thing for older, balding men. You are much more social than i am-even at the age of two...and you are always filled with laughter.

~You ate with a spoon! Huge, big deal to me...not so much for you, i think. Usually, you use the spoon to toss food on the floor.

While these things may not seem big to you, Emma, they were huge with me today. Time passes so quickly sometimes...so i try to keep notes on things that you do or have learned. I'm so proud of the little girl that you are growing into, Emma, and love you so very much.

Love you to the Moon and back....

Mommy
Posted by Picasa

4 thoughtful comments:

Arena Mom said...

Ahh.. Ok, your post gave me tears!!!!! Very beautiful. You are so right....I need to stop and remember this stuff too sometimes because it really won't last.

Amy said...

You are a very gifted writer!! This made me cry! Keep writing these things down because as hard as you try, you won't be able to remember everything (at least I haven't). I've been keeping a journal on the computer of fun/cute things my kids have done. There are so many of them from when my kids were babies that I wouldn't have remembered had they not been written down.

~Isabel said...

aww, thanks....i just wish that she would slow, slow, slow down. That's a great idea about keeping a journal for funny/cute things your children say...

Angie's blog said...

What a great pic of her under the sprinkler...that is a great contest pic...I think she would win! and.....wow, she is doing so fantastic! Thanks for posting the encouragin words and we all know in international adoption how each and every emotional milestore is such a huge blessing!!!! I needed to be reminded of progression and hope for my son:) as we go on our journey of attachment and bonding etc.