Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Play-Date...








I recently had a "Kid Craft Day" at my home with my table at MOPS and some of the Steering bunch. It was a fun day and i think that all of the kids had a great time as did their Moms. We did ghosts using their feet....i painted small canvases with a muted blue before hand and then we had each child put their feet in white paint and step on the canvas. After the canvas dried, i glued on googly eyes to each of the ghost.

It was really a lot of fun and something neat to keep to remember those cute toes and feet in Halloween times to come.

It was also a big, huge deal for me.

Not the craft, but in having friends over to my home.

Why?

Because i've never done that before.

For reasons that are icky in my past, i've never invited folks to my home.

Never.

Ever.

Yeah, i know. I'm in my 40-ish years. I just didn't want anyone to be in my home at that time. Maybe because i didn't see my 'home' as a "home" at that time.

But, many years later, and since being re-married and becoming a Mommy, i've wanted to have other Mommies over.

I just wasn't sure how to do it. One morning, i figured out that it surely couldn't be that hard to have other Mommies over. I would plan a craft for their children, have a simple lunch of veggie soup and salad for the Mommies and pizza for the kids. And i would invite my table from MOPS.

As so, i did.

I now wish that i had invited Mommy friends over before now. Because your real friends who are Mommies don't care how your house looks. In fact, if they see toys everywhere or laundry that needs to be folded, they will probably feel more at home in your home....because it looks just like their home!

Stunning that it took me so long to figure this out, eh?

But now that i have figured it out, i'm busy thinking about my next little play-date....

Sometimes, it takes a bit of time to come full circle, doesn't it? But maybe that's what makes the journey so worth it in the end.


3 thoughtful comments:

david_hatton said...

love the blog, beautifully written, im a regular reader. you have a beautiful family.

Think you might like some of my blog posts and articles posted, feel free to check them out:

http://davidhatton1987.blogspot.com/

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Hi Issy! Catching up with you! The kid craft day looks like GREAT fun and I am so glad you opened your home...I bet you will be doing much more often!

I think you HAVE come full circle! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

cute pics!