Sunday, May 4, 2008

You want me to do what??


I suffer from the "Sure! I can/help/do/take care of that" syndrome. Usually, i'm happy that i was able to help someone and i seem to get much more out of what i've done than what i've given. It's also lead me to do more sometimes because i know that with only one child, well, i'm able to do more than someone with a larger family. And who am i trying to kid? It's been fun helping, too! I've brought meals to families, baked cupcakes, ran errands, sent cards...it truly makes your soul fill with joy when you know that you've helped someone. It's even better when you help and no one knows it was you that helped!


As a first year member of MOPS, i've so enjoyed myself. Really. I loved meeting other women and hearing ideas from them and heck, i just loved having adult girl conversations! I did feel out of place my first few meetings; it was hard leaving my little daughter in the MOPPETS room (the first time was a crying disaster for "me"....Emma had a great time, btw.) and it was hard being with women who had such strong religious faith as i am still learning and finding my way. I was in awe of some of these women...they truly seemed to know their calling, they truly seemed to know the bible, they truly had an unbending faith in God, and they truly seemed to know 'how' to be a Mommy. Meanwhile, over in my chair, i was still searching for answers and still trying to find my way, not daring to tell anyone that i diapered Emma backwards or that she accidentally rolled off our bed or better yet, that i had locked my precious daughter in my car with me on the outside of the car! What would they think of me?? Luckily, i had a fantastic care group leader who did her best to make me feel welcome and feel like i was a part of the group. Slowly, but surely, i've made a small circle of women friends who i can chat with, call and talk to. Our MOPS group is huge-there are over 80 members in our group and we are at 10 women to a table so it's hard to know everyone but it's great to feel that you are a part of this group.


Our year is ending for MOPS and the leadership drive was started a few weeks ago. I remember chuckling to myself after one of my favorite mentors asked me if i was considering being on the steering team next year "Are you kidding?? Me?? I'm still learning how to be a Mommy! And i don't have a lot of answers. I can barely lead me, much less lead anyone else!". I just smiled and said "No, i hadn't considered it." and left it at that. The next meeting, my care group leader asked me about it-maybe to consider being a care group leader? Again, i chucked....she was helping me un-glue my craft day project from the table where i had accidentally glued it (sigh, nope i'm not crafty, lol) and just shook my head 'no'. After the meeting, i was headed to the door to pick up my daughter when our coordinator stopped me with the Leadership Application in hand.....and asked me to please pray about it, that she thought that i would be wonderful addition to the steering team.


So, my application is done and has been turned in. I was honest as i could be on the questionnaire. And it was a hard questionnaire for me. Questions like "If you were at Heaven's gate and the Lord wanted to know why you should be let in, what would you say?" and "What are some of your qualifications to be in MOPS Leadership?" took a bit of time to answer. I mailed it in because i said that i would....feeling smug as i knew that they wouldn't (and couldn't!!) possibly want me.


They do. This is just proof that God, indeed, has a sense of humor.


I applied for Care Giver or In Reach positions. Our Search Committee wants me to do Publicity. I think they have me mixed up with someone else. The only thing i know about publicity (which includes doing the newsletter and directory) is that it is a HUGE job. It's a HUGE job. Did i mention it's a HUGE job?? They've asked me to please pray about it....and i am. But Publicity? Me? Really? Can i do this??


And so, i'm praying. And speaking to some of my MOPS friends....who are apparently in on this as they think it's fantastic. I don't know, i truly don't know if i would be over my head or not. I'm a classic "A" type of personality.....and although i'm quite funny, lol, i'm high strung, too. Is this really what they need?


My favorite mentor emailed me this quote yesterday:


"I can do what you can't do and you can do what I can't do. Together, we can do great things." (Mother Teresa)


So, we'll see.....i have much thinking to do. I truly don't know....and of course, the position scares me.


Can i do this? Can i?

0 thoughtful comments: