Friday, August 20, 2010

A ramble....


I have to be honest. I've never wanted to live in Florida. It's too hot. It's too muggy. I don't sweat like a lady, i sweat like a man. It's not a pretty sight. And this is year around. Florida just doesn't seem to have any seasons, either.

But...

...dang, is it beautiful here. The clouds are amazing. Big, white and fluffy. The sky is a beautiful baby blue. The sun, well, is hot. And the beach?

Beautiful.

I think that i could truly sit on the beach, in a sun chair with a book and a bottle of water, all day long. Lots of sunscreen layered on, big floppy hat, and my favorite sunglasses on. Listening to the surf is so relaxing. I close my eyes and just listen to sounds of the surf.

Oh. Wait. That's not what i've been doing here.

I'm visiting my sister. And between us, we have four children.

Yes. That was FOUR. CHILDREN.

Even though Claudine and i are out-numbered, i am still having a blast. Emma is loving hanging out with her cousins. The kids are really a lot of fun and they are always ready for the next adventure, the next walk to the beach, the next craft, the next fun thing to eat, the next fun place to visit. There is a lot of energy with four children, but with that is a lot of giggles, a lot of hugs, a lot of yelling, a lot of running and a lot of singing.

It's been fun.

The week has really flown by so quickly but, thankfully, we still have a few days left. I've taken a few photos and need to get a bunch more.

My sister and i have laughed in the kitchen this week, like we use to do with my Mom growing up. We've made my Mom's rice pudding together. We've also had some Spanish-type of sandwiches for lunch. We also have plans to make a Spanish tortilla like my Mom would make for us. My Mom, it seems, is all around the two of us...and while comfortable, like a fluffy, warm blanket that surrounds Claudine and i, it makes the both of us miss her even more.

When i think of how much Claudine and i miss our Mother, i start to realize the gifts that my Mother passed on to us. Isn't that what all mothers want? To pass their unique and special gifts along to their children? The special gifts that become the glue that holds family together....the traditions that make one feel loved. Whether it's the gift of cooking or baking together, singing together or taking holidays together, these are the moments that make life what it is...

...and what makes it beautiful.

Often these kind of gifts are passed on without instructions. They are just things that mothers do with their children. Most of these things, Claudine and i picked up from just watching my Mother. It's interesting that both Claudine and i remember thinking that my Mom was the most beautiful woman ever. That she was elegant. We also remember the Chicken & Stars soup my Mom would make when we felt sick. And how she always put us first. Always.

I don't think that my Mom ever realized how much my sister and i watched her. I realize, now, that all children watch their mothers. Those little ears and little eyes pick up things when you least expect them too. I need to remember that a little more often.

So, this time with my sister has been a good thing. And something that i need to make a point to do more often. Her life has had some challenges these past two years but she is blessed with friends who have shown up in her life to look out for her and love her. Claudine will be fine...and my Mom would be proud of her.

Just as i am.

3 thoughtful comments:

Cielo Azul Jewelry said...

What a wonderful post. I enjoy Florida too, but only certain times of the year=0) Spanish rice.....that makes me smile. How many times has my Mama tried to make me try that.....many. I can't get myself to try it, but everyone seems to love eating my portion. Sounds like you've had a lovely visit, even with the madness of four little ones.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting on my painting. Your comment is truly appreciated=0)

Have a great weekend,
xoxo,
Carol

Anonymous said...

glad you had a nice time with your sister. i have two brothers in north carolina, a sister-in-law and five nieces and nephews, i need to visit them more often! love the beach photo, it's absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny... i was looking at your mommy and emma vacation picks and thought that aquarium looked familiar... then I saw this post and saw you were in FL - was that the MOTE aqaurium? My inlaws live in Sarasota - and we visited that one last time we were down there...