Thursday, November 20, 2008
A Thaksgiving Craft
Years ago, i had a friend who's child made her a macaroni necklace. She wore this necklace to work one day; a little red faced that she had forgotten to take it off before coming into work. It seems that her little daughter asked her to wear this necklace and she had put it on before leaving for work. It was a long necklace, made from all different kinds of macaroni. We had meetings all day that day and i remember her taking off that macaroni necklace and tucking it away safely in her purse. After all, she couldn't go to our "important" meetings with a macaroni necklace, could she?
I still remember staring at that macaroni necklace. I fought the urge to touch it...after all, it was just a macaroni necklace and it wasn't mine. I was in a not-so-happy (okay, it was more than "not-so-happy") marriage and i had promised myself that no way would i bring a child into a marriage such as the one i had. I remember thinking "i want a child to make me a macaroni necklace" and shoving the thought away. The chance of a child, my child, making me a macaroni necklace was slim to none. And so, i did other things like bury myself into my work...
...but the dreams of a macaroni necklaces, well, never went away.
A divorce happened, and life started over for me. Six years after that divorce, i met Robert, and a year and a half later, we were blessed with Emma. To say that life is good being a Mommy is an understatement.
Emma is still too young to make a macaroni necklace for me. But look at what she brought home from her preschool class (not really preschool, but a Mother's Day Out class) today! Is it not the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?? Does she not have the cutest hand print ever??
Before i forget the rest of my friend's story here it is:
After the first meeting, we had a break and my friend and i went to grab some water at the front office. She excused herself to go to the restroom and i waited for her so we could go back in. When we got back to our meeting, she sat down first and as i looked at her from behind (she had very short hair), i noticed the macaroni necklace back around her neck. I smiled because i knew that if it was i who was given a macaroni necklace, i would be wearing it at our 'so' important meeting, too.
♡ Scribbled by ~Isabel at 10:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 thoughtful comments:
Emma has the most beautiful Turkey hand in all the land...
xoxo so happy you are okay my friend, I was worried, I knew you'd be okay, but I'm darn happy its over.
Peace and love~Melissa
Sl glad that things are good for you!!! Great story and thanks for sharing:) What a cutie your precious angel is!! God Bless!
Post a Comment